I love finding new recipes...especially kid friendly ones that mine will actually eat!! So I thought I would share this one with you just incase you have picky children at home. If your kids (or husband like spaghetti or lasagna than this is a nice variation on those traditional italian dishes. If you aren't crazy about Tex Mex you can substitute 1 tsp of Italian seasoning (I find you need a lot less of the italian seasoning) in this recipe and it works just as well. I just find this is a nice change from the regular pasta dishes we usually have.
This is super yummy! If you decide to make it for your family, leave me a comment and let me know how it went! :)
Creamy Tex Mex Noodle Bake
537 calories per serving
18.1 g of fat per serving
1 lb of extra lean ground beef
1 can tomato soup
1 tbsp tex mex seasoning (or vary to taste) **
1/3 cup of water
170 g broad egg noodles
1 can low sodium cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can filled with 1% milk
1/2 cup of light cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of part-skim mozzarella cheese
** you could substitute 1 package of low sodium taco seasoning in place of the Tex Mex seasoning if you prefer more of a taco flavor instead of a chili type flavour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Fill a large stove top pot with water and bring to a boil for the pasta.
- Meanwhile brown ground beef in a large non-stick fying pan over med-high heat. When meat is no longer pink drain fat from pan. Stir in tomato sup, spice and water.
- Add noodles to boiling water. Set timer for 3 minutes.
- Whisk mushroom soup and milk together in a large 2 cup measuring cup or medium bowl.
- When timer rings for noodles, drain in a colander and rinse with water to prevent noodles from sticking together.
- In a lasagna or casserole dish, layer in this order... 1/2 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the cooked noodles, 1/2 of the soup mixture, then the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers again ending with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Broil for a few minutes to brown up the cheese a little if desired.
Serve with your favourite salad and this makes a perfect family friendly meal.